Post clean up picture. Much tidier than previous one.
All as expected inside, slightly discoloured resistor and burnt looking bit, looks like it has been resoldered and it all tests happy, so cleaned it up a bit and good to go. Loaded it with Mullard EL34 XF4 and mullard pres.
Pretty boring, came in for a fixing. Lead free solder meant all the solder joints looked dull and bad. Really, the issue was a duff pre valve. Redid all the joints anyway, because once it was apart, might as well. Wondering is tidying the wires would make it less noisy, but being 5w means I can turn the volume all the way up, where noise is allowed.
Pair of matching Fane loaded Simms Watts 8ohm 2×12 guitar cabs. Need these gone for space reasons.
Got it behaving right, one issue turned out to be my jack cable though, pretty annoying, had to happen eventually, the last original jack on the pair of cables I got way back when I got serious about music stuff it has finally died. Anyway, nostalgic distraction over. £350 for this amp, even though its the same but better than the Selmer. Also, quit buying amps that are right at the back and the bottom of the pile. Buy the front ones instead.
These are always described as being a Selmer T&B badged differently. Finally I get to compare.
Guess its lost its back panel info, which might have given me a model name or something to work with, sleeve and chassis are similar to the T&B but the hardware, iron and suchlike are different style. Plus no heat shields. I tagged this as treble and bass, clicking the tag should bring up pics of previous ones.
Inside is very different, much neater work, different build style, different transformer means different rectifier (bridge rather than the full wave in thee mark 3 T&B). Circuit is similar sort of thing. Basically, they aren’t really comparable amps since the build quality is far apart, and having similar circuits meaning amps were the same would leave us with about 4 amps to choose from. Happily take a Kelly like this over any Selmer I’ve poked about it.
[sold]. Got it working right now, but still ugly, bunch of bad grounds on pots, and a duff socket gave it a massive low end hum, sorted now. This is the valve rectified one. The light cover is cracked and the covering is stripped off. [sold]
Little Bastard works fine but opened it up for a look anyway:
PCB mount valves and pots, not ideal, but at least not all push connectors. Sounds great too, not really loud enough for my purposes. So for sale, £350.
Top view showing valves and iron. Did notice the edges of the chassis seams are not welded, seems solid enough anyway.
On to the selmer T&B.
Plenty of cobwebs and spiders going on, seem to predate the power valves by a fair bit, so someone did a bodgy job of them.
Underneath, looks like bias cap and resistor replaced. Compare to later ones, looks line minimal changes were made to add SS rectification, one had the diodes right on the transformer, other had a dedicated board.